Friday, September 30, 2011

Ultrasound #5: 8 Weeks to Go!

 We had our fifth ultrasound on Friday, September 30. Loving being of advanced maternal age! Daddy, Mimi and Pop-Pop were on hand for the show. We soon discovered that our little Peanut is still in the breech position. Her head, arms and right leg are all bunched up in her face and she is hanging out with her head on my right side. No wonder that's where I have been feeling most of her movements. Yikes!

Here's your standard ultrasound image of Peanut at 32 weeks. She had hiccups during the scan so I think those are bubbles coming out of her mouth. Hee, hee!
 Here's a 3D image of Peanut and you can see her hands in her face. Now you might be asking yourself, "Wow, that could not be comfortable, right?" Well, our little darling has been pretty comfy in this position for most of the pregnancy so I would venture to say that she doesn't mind it one bit. 

So what does this mean? Well, I have a regular appointment with my OB/GYN next week and if Peanut has not yet moved into the "normal" birthing position, there is a good chance that at my ultrasound appointment on October 26, we will be trying an external version. This is a procedure where they will gently push on my lower abdomen to turn her in the head-down position. Since this is my second child, we have about a 60% chance of successfully turning Peanut and avoiding a C-Section. If they do the procedure, I most likely will have to go out on maternity leave at that point since we would not want to run the risk of her going back to where she is obviously comfortable. If it doesn't work, it looks like we will schedule a C-Section for the end of November. I'd love to avoid that as much as possible but our little one has her own thoughts on that matter so we will just have to hope for the best.

During the scan, I said, "Well, looks like we might have quite a problem child on our hands." The ultrasound tech said, "Oh, I wouldn't say that. She's going to be an independent thinker and a leader." I'll keep telling myself that, nice lady. 

But seriously, despite all this drama, Jeff, Noah and I could not be more excited about Peanut's arrival! Noah especially can't wait for his little sister to be born and tells everyone he meets all about it. I'm not sure he quite understands the permanence of this whole thing, but I'm sure he will be the best big brother on the planet.
I will leave you with an awesome image of Peanut's little fist. Mimi thinks it's her way of saying, "Stand with the breech babies! We will not go down without a fight!" Sigh.

So stay tuned for more news on our little breechy one. Next up: photos of her nursery...

1 comment:

  1. Yay for good scans. Boo for breech. My little girl is an "independent thinker and leader." It's not all bad... ;) What's life without a challenge? HA! She may just be a girl who knows what she likes and sticks with it. Another ALL Mac and Cheese kid coming right up!!

    But joking aside... I am getting very excited for this little girl's arrival. I will be saying my prayers that she turns and stays put! Well, until she is "full grown" at least!!

    ReplyDelete